She graduated in architecture (DPLG – Paris), industrial design (Copper Union, NYC), graphic design (School of Visual Arts, NYC) and furniture design (Parson’s NYC).
Her studio, created in 1999, is known for the diversity of its international projects which explore the fields of architecture, interior design, scenography, furniture and object design.
Settled on one single street in Paris, rue Las Cases, India Mahdavi has created a very unique environment combining a modern sense of comfort and elegance with color and humour. A cross-cultured art de vivre.
Her first showroom at 3 rue Las Cases which opened in 2003, focuses on a high end collection of furniture, produced exclusively in France. Designed for her interior design projects, these pieces now constitute a unique body of work which share the same values: a sophisticated balance between strong graphics and a glamorous signature.
19 rue Las Cases, India Mahdavi’s second showroom, opened in December 2011, focuses on small objects, a radical change of scale. These new pieces, which India also designs and uses for her interior design projects, are now displayed in this fresh and creative hide-away. The ‘petits objets’ boutique is a free spirited and lighthearted playground that echoes and complements the furniture showroom.
Polyglotte & poychrome, India Mahdavi has become an exclusive brand, offering a complete philosophy, based on a special vocabulary: high end, joyful, nomadic, chic, elegant, ‘art de vivre’, a certain way of life.
India Mahdavi is the author of «Home Chic», a guidebook to interior style co-written with journalist Soline Delos and published by Flammarion in 2012.
India Mahdavi has received several awards:
– Designer of the Year by famous fair «Scènes d’intérieur / Maison et Objets» in 2004
– Appointed Officier des Arts et des Lettres and decorated by Fleur Pellerin, Ministre de la Culture et de la Communication on November 26th, 2015.
– Named to Architectural Digest’s 2014 AD100 list, which honors the world’s top talents in architecture and design
– Granted a special award for international creators by AD Spain’s AD Award 2014
– 4 awards in 2015 for The Gallery at sketch: Restaurant & Bar Design Awards: Best London Restaurant + Best UK Restaurant / Great Indoors Awards: best restaurant in the Relax & Consume category / Time Out Love London Awards: best restaurant in Mayfair
– Her collection of contemporary Cementiles for Bisazza won the EDIDA2016 award in the floor covering category
– I Love Paris by Guy Martin was awarded world’s best chef-led / fine dining restaurant in an airport (FAB awards 2016)
– Named to Architectural Digest’s 2017 AD100 list
– Named to Architectural Digest’s 2018 AD100 list
– REDValentino London Sloane Street has been awarded Best single-brand Store / FRAME Awards 2018
– The Gallery at sketch has won the Experts’ Choice Award + Best of London award / TripExpert 2018
– The collection of colored and printed velvets «True Velvet» for Pierre Frey has won the EDIDA2018 in the fabrics category
– Best Designer / The Design Prize 2018
Besides talks and conferences throughout the world, India Mahdavi also regularly takes part in professional jurys:
– Member of the Jury in the Fashion category chaired by Chanel / 30th Festival International de Mode & Photographie in Hyères (2015)
– President of the Jury / Design Parade Toulon 2016 (1st edition)
– President of the Jury / Beirut Design Fair 2017 (1st edition)
– Member of the Jury / FRAME Awards (2018)
– Member of the Jury / Competition for selecting resident fellows of the Villa Médicis (2018)
– Member of the Jury in the Photographie category chaired by Bettina Rheims / 33rd Festival de Mode & Photographie in Hyères (2018)
– Member of the Jury / Dezeen Awards (2018)